Healthy IDEAS is an evidence-based depression program that relies on case managers to deliver the intervention core program components over a 3 to 6 month period through face-to-face visits in the client’s home, as well as telephone contacts. It is an expansion of current case management services offered through social service or family service organizations as well as senior centers, to include a mental health component. In addition to agency supervisors and case managers being trained to deliver the program to their community-dwelling older adult clients, developing relationships with local mental health/behavioral health services is an essential part of the implementation process.
To replicate the program effectively, we ask agencies to complete key organizational readiness tasks and do some introductory training with staff before the onsite Healthy IDEAS intervention training. These program start-up activities generally take 2 to 3 months to complete. This ensures readiness prior to the onsite, skills-based training.
Healthy IDEAS Certified Regional Trainer will provide the Technical Assistance consultation needed to support agencies as you prepare to use Healthy IDEAS as part of your service delivery model to address depression in older adult clients.
These Readiness Tasks involve:
• Creating a program leadership team that includes designated program champion(s), case management supervisor(s) and a local clinical coach.
• Developing effective partnerships and communication with community providers who can evaluate and treat depression.
• Installing the core Healthy IDEAS program components into current service delivery, including revisions to policies, forms, and documentation. Some new policies, such as a written suicide protocol, may need to be put in place and the tools and forms for Healthy IDEAS may need to be customized. Also, staff will need to spend additional time and face-to-face visits with clients to incorporate Healthy IDEAS into their work load.
• Establishing a system for collecting and monitoring client outcomes and ensuring program fidelity.
• Training staff to deliver the Healthy IDEAS program and providing ongoing supervision.